Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 4: He's Julius Caesar, Bitch!

     Hello weekly followers! Sadly, this blog post is going to be my review on Julius Caesar. Not what I did this week. Yea, I know. You want to here about what I'm doing! But let me just tell you that this week I did nothing really. I went to Oxford, but that was it. Yup. So here's my review. Enjoy!

JULIUS CAESAR
           Julius Caesar, we all read it in high school. It's about the tragic murder of Julius Caesar, go figure, and how Antony and Octavius fight Brutus and Cassius. People die and there you have the Shakespearian tragedy, Julius Caesar. Or at least that's how I read into the show. Usually if a ton of people die at all in the show then it is a tragedy. However, when I saw Julius Caesar at The Globe Theatre, I was laughing more than I was crying. I actually think I laughed during the whole entire show. Of course there were points where there was no laughing: i.e. Caesar's death, Brutus' death, or Cassius' death. But the show felt a lot more like a comedy than a tragedy.
            Now the show didn't have any slapstick or over-exaggerations to be funny, the actors themselves were the ones who made the show funny.  I'm all for throwing some funny bits into a sad show to not be too much sadness all at once because you do need something funny to brighten up the mood every once in a while. However, there was just this constant comedy that never went away, more so in the first act than the second. The actor who played Casca, Christopher Logan, brought this sassiness to the character that just made him absolutely hilarious. There is nothing wrong with having a funny character in a tragedy, but sometimes I thought it was too much and it drew me out of the moment. One moment in particular was the scene where Brutus and Cassius pull on Casca's cloak to get his attention to ask about what the crowd was yelling about. Thinking that Casca was going to be this cool, calm, and collected character, I was genuinely surprised that he turned out to be this overly sarcastic gossiper. He reminded me a bit of a mix between Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory and Randall from Recess. His whole demeanor and just the way he carried himself reminded me of a sassy nark.
            Another thing I thought was funny was how ridiculously older Caesar was from everyone else. It looked like he could've been everyone's grandfather. It really through me for a loop because I always thought that Caesar was a little bit older , but by only a couple years not twenty. It just made me think that why would you want Caesar to be king when he's already really old and looks like he's going to kick the bucket at any moment. You think the town would have thought through that a little bit more. But alas, it's just a story I guess.

            I'm not saying that Julius Caesar was a terrible performance and no one should go and see it. I actually loved it and thought it was a fabulous production. There were just a couple confusing points of the show. I will never be a big fan of Shakespeare, but this production of Julius Caesar at The Globe Theatre really gave me a reason to consider becoming a fan. 

     I hope you enjoyed my review! Stay tuned for next week when I actually start talking about my week again! Yay! Get ready for next week, Week 5: What is Wifi?

1 comment:

  1. Kayla--I like how you work through your reactions to Julius Caesar. Keep going; take it to the next level. Why did you react the way you did? Where have you developed your expectations? You seem really interest in the rules that govern different dramatic genres--comedy, tragedy, history. Explain those more--where do they come from? Why do we think the way we do? Good train of thought! ~Anne

    ReplyDelete