Well, I've arrived in London and I cannot tell you how overly excited I am to be here! Of course I couldn't sleep on the plane. I felt like a kid on the night of Christmas Eve. Everything was going so smoothly so far. I had made it to my flight and my connection on time, so I figured the rest would be smooth sailing... I couldn't be more wrong!
When our flight landed, our pilot announce that the luggage belt at O'Hare broke and that most of the luggage didn't make it on this flight. RED FLAG! All I kept thinking was, 'Oh please don't let it be my luggage! PLEASE!' I'm starting to stress about my luggage as I come up to the UK Border. I am so nervous that, for some reason, they won't let me into the country. I don't know why, but that is all that is running through my head at the moment. Luckily I had a pretty nice guy that joked around with me AND let me into the country. Things were starting to look up!
It was now the moment of truth. It was time to reclaim my luggage. I go and wait at baggage claim number 5 to reclaim my luggage. I sit there for a good while and finally see one of my suitcases! Hooray! One down and one to go. So I'm sitting there and I see golf clubs go around the belt not once, not twice, but three times. This is when I know I am in trouble. I'm now starting to sweat. I now have to go fill out a lost/missing baggage form. I'm thinking that this is going to be some super long process, but it only took like 2 minutes to fill out. No biggie.
After running around the Heathrow Airport like a mad woman, I finally found my friends and we made it safely to the flat after taking up about half of one of the cars on the tube. Oopsies. From now on it is pretty stress free minus the not having my other suitcase. (I did finally receive it about 2 days later. That is a story I don't want to remember.)
As I was already stressed with living without one of my suitcases, I also had to watch how I spent my money. It was really a hit or miss with the food here, because I wasn't sure whether or not I would like the food. I quickly learned I couldn't buy a lot of fruit at once because it quickly goes bad. I had to try to buy food that not only tastes good, but is inexpensive and doesn't go bad in like 2 days. Also, I have to try to not eat out all of the time. It is a struggle because I want to try food from everywhere, but I also have to be aware of my budget. And let me tell you, this is hard, and I don't know how grown ups do this.
We went to Stratford Upon Avon. That was fun for the first 2 hours. Then it was a bunch of just sitting around and waiting for our show to start around 7:30pm.... Did I mention that we arrived around 11:30am? WE HAD 8 HOURS TO WAIT! By the time the show started, all I wanted to do was sleep. I somehow remembered the show, so apparently I didn't fall asleep. Go figure.
That's about all the fun that was had the first 2 weeks. Next will be London week 3: Death by Cocktail. Stay tuned for another post that will happen later than sooner....
No comments:
Post a Comment