Something I found very interesting about the discussion
we had dealing with the first section of Equiano was learning about some items
we take for granted now was the product of the slave trades. I always knew that
cotton was a material that was big during slavery, but I did not know that
chocolate, coffee, sugar, and more was also big during slavery and the slave
trade. It really makes me think about what items I take for granted and not
even think about what people went through at one point to have these said
items. It is absolutely terrible. I also didn't know that some slaves were turned
into fighters. Equiano many times had to man the cannons on the ship to fight
off other ships to help out his ship mates. It definitely makes sense that he
would have to do this, but it just never occurred to me. I guess it never
occurred to me that being a slave, he would be allowed on the deck of the ship.
I thought he would have to always stay below the decks. Whenever I was taught
about slaves and ships I always heard that they were never allowed on deck
unless they were leaving. And by leaving I mean being escorted off the ship and
sold. It is really interesting to me that some of these slaves were trusted to
kind of become about of the ships team. I didn't actually think this was ever a
thing. I guess I learn something new every day.
Another thing I noticed was that the way Equiano
narratives this story reminds me of another book I have read, Night. The way he talks about the time
before he was captured and sold and traded is really similar. Well, obviously
Equiano wrote this narrative before the Holocaust ever happened, but I read
Wiesel's book first. One big similarity was the death of both Equiano and Wiesel's
friend. Equiano is really good friends with a boy named Dick. They play a lot
on board the ships that they are on. It's not until Equiano and his master
change ships that him and Dick are separated. A similar thing happens in Night. Wiesel becomes a friend a boy
named Juliek who plays the violin. They met in a concentration camp and quickly
became friends. They were about the same age and size so they were always put
together when they would be sent to do certain jobs. Both Equiano and Wiesel
are separated from their friend and later find out that they are both dead. Dick
died while they were separated at sea, and Juliek died when he passed out due
to exhaustion and was trampled. Both are terrible narratives. I find it very
interesting about so many similarities between the two.
No comments:
Post a Comment